Interior design “confidence crushing” comes in many flavors. Worse, we do it to ourselves.
- Is it that you’re comparing your home to someone else’s?
- Is it fear of not being good enough at design and thinking you’re going to make a big mistake you’ll hate, then having to live with it for a long time?
- Is it feeling your home is so far behind that you’ll never get “there” …. wherever “there” really is?
Here are 3 tips to unlock the design diva inside you, because here’s what I know: You’re smart. You’re talented. I know you have so much of what it takes to get those home results you’re after, regardless of budget:
- Make a list of strengths and weaknesses. Honestly assess YOUR strengths and weaknesses, not your home’s qualities. What are you good at in decorating? What do you LOVE to do in design? Next, write down your “not-yet-excellent” characteristics when it comes to decorating your home. It’s just as important to acknowledge the good as it is the weaknesses, so you can build where it matters.
- Honestly Assess WHY You feel afraid to move forward to create that home you love. And no, money cannot be the answer. Like I always say when I coach brilliant women just like you to create the results they never dreamed possible….It’s not what you spend in design; it’s what you do with every dollar you DO spend in design.So, what is it SPECIFICALLY that makes you feel nervous, keeps your feet glued to the floor, not-moving ahead, and instead forever stuck in wishing, hoping, and self-comparison? Write it down.
- Dream a little. Write out what your ideal room would look like in your home, right now. What would it feel like? Describe how you feel when you’re in the space. Write out what an ideal day spent there would look like and feel like.Dreaming opens you up to finally get what you’re after. Once your brain sees THAT picture, it can get to work seeking out and identifying the changes you need to make – large or small, inside you or inside your home, in order to make that dream manifest in the flesh.All design starts with an idea, a dream, a concept. So, start yours!
Why There’s Hope & Solution
We live in a “compare ourselves to everyone else” moment in this Social Media Age, but that’s not the root of the problem. Self-comparison is the root of the suffering…but not the problem.
What I see confirmed time and again for the thousands of women I guide is that you aren’t leaning into and using design strategy. Instead, you’re bouncing around with collected ideas. Ideas are random thoughts. The more of them you have, like collected Pinterest photos, the more overwhelming it becomes. You get lots of pictures, yet you’re stuck and confused as hell.
BUT strategy is the lifeline that delivers you from point A though every other point until you reach point Z. So, if you’re missing strategy, find a great coach. Find someone to show you those strategy ropes so you can create what YOU’LL love in your home and on YOUR budget.
If that coach isn’t me, then I want you to go find her. And if that coach might be me, well girlfriend, I’d be honored to take you under my wing and on the amazing journey to your most beautiful home.
I’m cheering for you!
PS: Want some decorating confidence and know-how penicillin? Check out my free workshop, From Decorating Stress to Decorating Genius – click here to register. It’ll get your strategic juices flowing, while changing the way you see yourself – and your home – in design.